Local individuals affected differently by COVID

Math+teacher+Dana+Hess+sits+at+her+desk+with+a+mask+on.+Her+daughter+was+positive+for+COVID-19%2C+and+Mrs.+Hess+had+to+quarantine+for+two+weeks.+

Brylee Davis

Math teacher Dana Hess sits at her desk with a mask on. Her daughter was positive for COVID-19, and Mrs. Hess had to quarantine for two weeks.

Jacob Dugar, Editor

Unless you have been living under a rock since February, you have probably heard about coronavirus disease 2019, more commonly referred to as COVID-19.

The standard set of symptoms for this virus consists of a fever, cough, and/or tiredness, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Additional symptoms include, but are not limited to, loss of taste and smell, respiratory issues, and pink eye.

The elderly are much more vulnerable to any serious effects than those younger, especially if they have underlying conditions, such as heart diseases, type two diabetes, or asthma.

COVID-19 has hit Burlington High and those related to students, so how did it affect those of differing ages?

Senior Emmy Furman stated that she was extremely tired throughout her experience with the virus.

She said, “My head was pounding, and my sinuses felt blocked. My ears were also clogged.”

Sinus-related issues were not the only ones she had, though. She said that she was hot all the time, but, without a blanket, experienced chills.

Additionally, thanks to her being anemic, she became dizzy very easily, and she also got bored from staying at home for so long.

Her symptoms stayed for longer than most, as well. “Most teenagers had symptoms for three days, but I had them for two weeks.”

Monica Suter, tech, has a 95-year-old aunt who lives in a nursing home and contracted COVID-19.

All that her symptoms consisted of were a low-grade fever and a small cough for about three days.

Mrs. Suter said, “[She] wasn’t even hospitalized.” This is very remarkable for a 95-year-old woman.

However, her aunt’s roommate was not as lucky. She contracted the virus as well and died as a result of it.

Senior Brylee Huber, along with her family, also got the disease. Brylee herself experienced a loss in appetite, fever, and exhaustion.

“I slept for 16 hours a day,” she said. Additionally, she dealt with body aches and pains that were very similar to her previous experience with Rocky Mountain Fever.

Brylee’s mother experienced a loss in taste, dry cough, body aches, back pain, fever, and fatigue, which were all amplified by cancer, so much so that she was hospitalized for a night and a day.

Her father, however, only experienced a painful cough, fever, headache, and inability to breathe. They all stayed in the same house.

Nancy Jesse tested positive as well. Her symptoms began with a shortness of breath, which lasted about five days, but changed into those of a sinus infection or head cold.

She also was tired for around three days, and lost her sense of smell for a week. It returned after about two weeks, but she said, “I’m still dealing with sinus issues.”

Michael Vander Linden, tech teacher, said that both of his parents contracted the virus, possibly from church.

His father’s blood pressure was very erratic, and his mother’s only symptom was no sense of taste, which is still true, even after five weeks.