School dances spark much controversy amongst staff, students

Emmy Furman, News Editor

What is a better way to spend your Friday night than dancing it away? BHS staff and students have different opinions of these school events.
Math teacher Dana Hess says, “There has been a great attendance this year for dances,” meaning students are getting more involved in extracurricular and school events.
However, there is always the controversial issue of students who like dancing dirty.
Sophomore Addi Varvel thinks they mostly keep students out of trouble. “We could be out drinking or doing drugs, but instead students are going to school dances, so we should be able to dance how we want.”
Principal Stacy Reed says that there has been nothing out of the ordinary during the school dances this year. The students have done a good job of obeying the school’s rules, but he does wish they could dance separately.
Junior Kameron Cole is a fan of these events. “I think everyone is included by everyone. It is a night to have fun with classmates.”
Other students have different opinions. Junior Aryn Raymer says, “I guess I am old fashioned. I don’t like grinding, and that is pretty much all our dances are.”
Senior Casey Withers also does not like them. “Everything that happens there is cringeworthy.”
Junior A.J. Lank says, “I’m introverted and don’t like getting out much anyway, so the dances have never really been my scene.”
Sandy Louck, the yearbook advisor who sponsors the annual Halloween dance said that other than a brief moment of crowd surfing (which got shut down fast) and 159 bodies packed like sardines in a small corner, her event went well.
She added, “The students were complaining about being hot, so why are they squished so close together? I don’t get these people!”
There will always be something the younger generation does that is offensive to the older generation. Popular songs will always have a few dirty lyrics in them.
Mrs. Loucks said the 70’s had The Bump where you would bash your hip into someone else. It was not always in appropriate places.
Despite the controversy, many students still think that the school dances are a great way to have fun and hang out with their friends.
Junior Delani Nichols thinks the events also help students express themselves. “They can help students make new friends, too.”
Sophomore Libby Stadel noted that she dances expressively because all the other girls dance expressively.
Line dances are something that are generally approved of by the administration. For example, “Footloose” always brings students together, but not too close together.
Junior Zach Garner says, “When I hear that song come on, I can’t stay still. My feet just start moving.”
Other decades than the 70’s had their own dances, some more appropriate than others, but slow dancing has always been a big thing today and in years past.
Para Paul Rust said that in his decade (80’s), there was not a lot of dirty dancing. There were a lot of slow songs, though. “We had to keep a certain distance apart, though [in Dodge City].”
Each generation has their trends and dances. Some are slow, some are fast, and some are very close together. This generation’s choices of dance moves are not too different from past ones.

Sophomore Alyssa Jacobs participates in a long conga line at the Halloween dance. (PHOTO: Sandy Loucks)