BHS students struggle to survive spring

Courtney Goetz, Sports Editor

“Is that due TODAY?!”

This is a phrase often exclaimed with much urgency. Around this time of year, students and teachers feel the dreaded “spring crunch.”

One reason the seasonal stress occurs is because of the endless sporty/clubby/sickly absences of students. Science teacher Tim Johnson says it is really unavoidable.

However, he does not like grading one assignment for two weeks because students are constantly gone.

Like Mr. Johnson, Gayle Haselhuhn, math teacher, is forever playing catch up with her students. She says that some students do not come in to get the work they missed, so by the end of the semester they have 10 to 15 assignments missing.

The students do not like missing school in the spring either. Junior Olivia Link says it is tough missing class often. She says she would much rather be at school.

Junior Kassi Coons agrees. She says, since she goes in beforehand to get the work she will miss, “The teachers are really good about letting me know the assignments I am going to miss.”

Junior Cassidy Isch is feeling the heat. She says between Prom, Emojify, and missing different days [and five yearbook deadlines], she is struggling to make do. She says chemistry is tough to be gone from because she will miss notes and lectures.

Kylar Lee, junior, has missed a significant amount of school. He spent much of his time showing his animals, and that takes him out of class.

“I don’t mind missing school because I am out networking,” he says. He would like to pursue a career in showing livestock. Therefore, he is working toward his goals  and simultaneously maintaining his grades.

Though some students have events to attend during the day; others just simply do not want to go. The notorious “senioritis” has set in.

Senior Bryna Huber says, “It gets harder and harder to get out of bed every day.”

Even juniors claim to be catching the virus. Junior Anna Kitchen says she’s got “pre-senioritis,” and Cassidy says she “is so tired of getting up early.”

Michael Vander Linden, English teacher, says it is getting to the point where people just do not care. Everyone is so busy that school is their last priority.

English teacher Holly Thomsen is having a different experience. She says her Freshman English classes responded very well to the Romeo and Juliet unit she just finished two weeks ago, and her Junior English class worked hard on their Gatsby museum.

Devra Parker, English, also said the stress level was high when trying to put the Emojify museum together, but she trusted her students to blow her away.

Another perspective on the issue is from the athletic director Dave Watkins. He is constantly trying to work around the testy weather.

He says it is like this every year, and it may be a challenge to reschedule. However, most events are made up before the end of the season.

The majority of teachers have simply accepted the reality of the spring season. Shane Clapper, social studies teacher, says there is really nothing they can do about it. Spring is just a busy time of year that teachers have to work around.

Sandy Loucks, English teacher, is in a unique situation this year. It is difficult to work in her publications classes due to the classroom being moved into the tech lab bit by bit.

“It’s hectic,” she says. “Between the senior newspaper issue, State contest submissions, and the last newspaper issue, I have enough to worry about.  Oh, I forget we have a yearbook to get done, and at least 50 research papers will be ready to grade.  Time for chocolate!”

Alli Dunlop
Mark Engel balances his jobs as track coach and science teacher, working with students like Olivia Link who missed a chemistry lesson and came in for make-up.