Duties of two school administators are daunting

Courtney Goetz, Sports Editor

“The reason I look so stressed is because I care so much  about this school and I want it to succeed,” says principal Stacy Reed.

The lives of our Mr. Reed and vice principal Dave Watkins are dynamic and full of responsibilities. The secretaries say, “All year they bend over backwards,” and the average student does not understand how much the administrators do for the school.

This is what a typical day is like in the shoes of these leaders.

“They do a lot!” Misty Marchant, secretary, repeats. “It’s unbelievable. I’ve even seen Mr. Reed running from place to place.”

Much like every other day for Mr. Watkins, this one starts with a strong cup of coffee. It’s 7:00 am, and he sits down at his desk only to find a load of attendance reports, detention slips, and contracts, all for him to organize and review.

He logs onto his e-mail. Though he just opened all of his messages last night, he has 16 new e-mails to read.

One of them is an angry message from a parent. Speaking of which, they will be arriving at the school in just a few minutes to talk with him.

Just down the hall, Mr. Reed is on his way back from checking in on the new science rooms. Two other teachers are asking for his advice, yet, before he can answer, his phone rings. The call informs him that there are two staff members calling in sick, so he must scramble to help Ms. Marchant find a substitute before classes start at 8:00 am.

Reluctantly, both administrators must attend a meeting at 10:00. They do not like to be away from the school, but they must because it is part of the job.

Unfortunately, their meeting runs late, so someone must cover first lunch. They get back just in time for second lunch.

Good news! The new lunch tables are in today, so they assist in unloading them. The two of them have yet to get any lunch. Ms. Marchant says she never sees Mr. Reed eat.

“Sometimes we set food out for him, but he only eats a bite or two.”

Finally, they are back in their offices. Not 15 seconds later, a student walks in refusing to take his hat off. Watkins and Reed must decide what disciplinary actions will be taken.

Once that is dealt with, they both sit down to tackle their paperwork. Mr. Watkins opens an e-mail that says there is going to be rain all weekend, including Friday night.

He must work to schedule around the nasty weather, so he moves the Saturday races for cross country up an hour, and decides to postpone the football game, only if the weather is unbearable that evening.

Then, under a few papers of regulations, entry fees, and certifications, Mr. Watkins finds a thank you card from the students who wanted to show their gratitude for the new science rooms.

In addition, Mr. Reed finds his own thank you card written by the same group of people. This is one of the few times they get appreciation for their efforts. These moments make it all worthwhile, especially since they will be late getting home again, due to several events that night.

As stated earlier, Mr. Reed dearly wants this school to succeed. With state assessment scores in the top three in the state, BHS is held in high regard and he wants to keep it that way.

Though he does not like to be harsh and enforce discipline (because he can sometimes come across negative), he must, because it is for the good of the school and community.

As well, from a student’s perspective, it is not necessarily fun to be disciplined, but students grow and learn from their mistakes.

Vice president of the Senior Class Camrie Wagner says, “These two do not get enough recognition for all they do. Whether it is organizing sports events, awards, or making certificates, handling bus transportation changes, establishing concession and hospitality workers, disciplining students, or regulating the use of the commons by outside parties, these two have their hands full.”

Senior class president Connor Jeffers would like the students of Burlington High to take a moment out of their day to thank the principal and VP for their never-ending efforts and drive to improve the school for the students at BHS.