Several new/veteran instructors added to Burlington High School’s faculty

Jake Davies, Editor

This 2016-17 school year, BHS is home to a number of new teachers. Some are from a long ways away, but all are very eager to work with their new students in this different environment.

The boys’ P.E. instructor is John Petrie. He and his family are from Meade, Kansas. There, he taught Freshman P.E., as well as being an assistant football coach and assistant track coach.

“I have enjoyed working with the kids here so far,” he says.  Aside from P.E., he also teaches the weights class and is the head football coach.

In the social studies classroom, Shane Clapper is the newest addition. Originally working in Hitchcock County, Nebraska, Mr. Clapper comes from a smaller school of about 120 students.

He currently handles world culture and American History.  He likes it here a lot. “People have been great. Faculty, staff, and students have all been easy to get along with. Things have been going well,” he says.

Comparing his duties to those in Nebraska, he has not deviated at all with the change. He still teaches social studies as he has always done.

In charge of the music department is Sam Parrilla. He is a first-year teacher from the University of Kansas. This being his inauguration, he is learning as much from his students as they are from him. “I am excited to work in such a close-knit community.”

He is in charge of high school band and choir, plus those same classes at the middle school. Aside from both of those, he also teaches general music at the middle school level.

On the subject of fine arts, Natalie Spangenberg is the newest art teacher in the building. She comes from Topeka West High School where she taught painting, metal smithing, and Advanced Placement.

She doles out art in the middle school during the mornings and in the high school during afternoons. She also has an Advanced Art class for those who took it last year. “I love working here. Everyone is very friendly and eager to learn. It’s awesome.”

Last but not least is the new girls’ P.E. instructor, Christina Addison. She comes from Newton, Kansas,  about 15 minutes north of Wichita.

She has been teaching for about three years and received her masters from ESU.

She also has the fifth grade boys down at the middle school; plus she is currently coaching cross country.  “It’s great. The students are awesome.”

Her favorite part about BHS is the fact that everyone is really welcoming and nice. Ms. Addison enjoys training for marathons and camping in her free time.

BHS certainly has a lot of new faces walking around this year, and all of them have badges.