Teens recall times when animals attacked

Cameron Shilling, Editorial page Editor

Blue heeler Ivy Servaes snarls menacingly as her owner snaps a photo of her. The dog has never actually bitten any family member. (PHOTO: Sophie Servaes)

Wherever there are animals, there is always the one person who just looks too tempting not to attack, and he might get bitten. Now it is time to share some stories about these people who serve as a chew toy for their pets or someone else’s. One of the most common animals that sinks its teeth into its owner or any stranger is the beloved canine. They have mouths and teeth made for causing pain. The first victim to a dog’s kiss of evil is junior Chris Grames. He fell for the classic “playing dead.” Chris said, “I was sitting next to my sleeping dog. I thought he’d stopped breathing. I leaned down to check and see if he was okay, and he bit my nose.” Another student who was viciously attacked was junior Kyle Whitney. He accepted the challenge of a canine mouthing off to him. Kyle said, “I saw a dog across the street barking at me. I started to run at it, and then it bit my foot, causing me to fall down. I kicked it and ran away.” Always remember, if you see a strange dog that is acting in a threatening way, refrain from approaching or touching it in case it has a tendency to attack people. Some people live with other creatures that express their feelings through their teeth or claws. Claws will be counted as biting in this account of animal attacks. One pet that many people have at a young age is the hermit crab. They are so small and innocent, people never expect them to attack. Sophomore Lauren Suter learned this was not true, from a first-hand experience. She said, “I had hermit crabs once. I picked one up named Flower. Flower grabbed me by the finger; I cried and flung her away.” Lauren learned a valuable lesson in animals that have claws for hands. Sophomore Tucker Whitworth had an interesting experience with a creature that is known for its biting skills. Tucker said, “I caught a turtle, and found out it was an alligator snapping turtle. I held on to its tail with one hand and the other on the shell. It then whipped its head around and bit me on the hand holding the shell.” Almost everyone in this school knows of senior Bryce Taylor and his collection of odd animals. He “almost” gets chomped on a daily basis. “I’ve been bitten by dogs, cats, scorpions, spiders, tarantulas, and much more. It’s how they show their love for me.” It is easy to see how the animal kingdom can be a great friend to some, and a worse enemy to many more. If you are bitten by a wild animal, it is important to clean the wound, and if the animal was acting strangely, like attacking when another of its kind would run away, it would be a safe bet to get a rabies shot. Last thing: if your pet bites you, just remember it does not hate you; it may just be showing how much it loves you.