Tracksters elaborate on personal motivation and goals regarding sport

Eric Pabon, Entertainment Editor

Seth Jarvis displays his stamina on a long run. (Brylee Davis)

Track outlines the primitive, however important, skills of an athlete. This can be seen through jumping  events.

Long jump, pole vault, and high jump are the events that allow athletes to demonstrate their broad jump, vertical, agility, and strength skills.

Long jump measures the distance from which a runner jumps from a mark and lands in a sand pit. If he fails to hit the board, the jump does  not count.

Junior Ty Anderson competes in long jump and triple jump. When asked how he improve his performance, he says, “I work on my strides because, if you can use the exact same strides every time, you’ll improve because you’re strengthening your legs.”

High jump requires athletes to jump over a bar that is horizontal and set to different heights, without knocking it over.

Pole vault is an event in which athletes attempt to vault over a bar set at a height, using an extremely long flexible pole held in the hands.

Junior Thomas Unruh decided to try pole vaulting because it looked fun, and his dad used to compete in it. He claims that at the end of eighth grade, he went to a camp three hours away.

“Not too long after that, my dad happened to find a cheap pit that we bought and put in our shop. I like to pole vault because no one else does it,” Thomas says.

Without the advantage of an at-home setup, high jump sophomore Trey Faimon stretches his calves, goes through the motion of his jumps, and does back bridges.