Runners leap high for hurdle scores

Jacob Dugar, Editor

Run. Jump. Do not fall. Run. Jump. Do not fall. Finish. Hurdling is one of the more dangerous events in track.

The event can easily end up with the athlete in last or injured from one botched leap, so what is it like to miss a hurdle, and how do athletes prevent that from happening?

As for actually fumbling a hurdle, sophomore Gabby Lyons said that it is usually not that bad to “mess up” and to just get right back up and keep pushing forward.

To keep that from happening in the first place, junior Karlie Whitworth tells her thought process to stay in the race.

“I always tell myself that you’re not running and jumping hurdles, you’re running and hurdling. It’s all one fluid motion.”

For practice, Gabby said, “Usually, we do less of a workout [than other events] because it takes a lot to practice hurdles.”

Karlie went more into her process and said that she keeps her first hurdle at the exact same spot for every practice to build consistency, and she puts her second and third ones with three steps’ distance between them.

The height of the hurdles, though, does not matter as much as the distance. Karlie said that you never jump at the height you jump at in a race because of all of the adrenaline pumping through you.

Overall, she commented that hurdling is “…kinda hard when you’re not as tall as other people.”

Hurdling is one of the more underrated events in track, but it is interesting, risky, and takes a lot of work to master.

Veery few manage to do all of this.

Boys and girls warm up as a group before they split up. Whether runners, hurdlers, or jumpers, they start practice together. (Brylee Davis)