Track team discusses the adjustments they have to make

Abby Crutchfield, Editorial Editor

Sophomore Kylie Price perfects her throw to prepare for the upcoming season. (Brylee Davis)

Many athletes know that sports can change a lot from middle to high school.

For example, track has incredible differences between the two age groups.     

The events the athletes are able to participate in can change depending on their age. Middle school typically has fewer options.

There are events in high school that are not down below and vice versa. Javelin, for example, is not available to grades 5-8.

“Middle school doesn’t have pole vault, triple jump, or other events that we have now,” says sophomore Michelle Deveault.   

Also, each person would only participate with people in his/her own grade. In high school, all grades compete against each other. “Everyone is equal,” says Michelle.   

Another change is the level of competitiveness. “High school is a lot more challenging because you’re racing with other talented and experienced athletes,” says sophomore Lillyan Gerow.

The lower level is more about figuring out how sports work. “[Middle school] was more about trying it out to see if you like it and find out what you’re good at,” says senior Lily Rolf. “High school is more competitive and you only focus on the events you’re good at,” she says.

“In my opinion, middle school is just to get you ready for high school,” says Lillyan. She also thinks that this level is more for fun, while BHS is more serious.

Sophomore Justyce King says that another difference is that older kids usually work harder than younger kids. “The older you are, the more disciplined you are,” she says.

Paige also likes that at BHS they run fewer laps to warm up. As long as everyone behaves, they do not have to run as much.