Golfers defend their sport from critics

Allison Schneider, News Editor

Wyatt Wilson demonstrates skills needed to compete. (Brylee Davis)

Golf to some may just be a “rich man’s game,” but those who indulge in such a sport know the realities of the effort and determination it takes to play golf.

It is much more than walking around and hitting a ball or playing a game of self-regulated fetch.

Junior Elliott Burns fully believes that golf is athletic. However, he thinks the game is more of a mental athleticism.

“I need to prepare myself for the mental agony I’m about to endure when I go to a meet,” he explains.

When asked why people do not think it is athletic, junior Parker McDaniel chimes in with insight: “If there’s no running, then people don’t consider it a sport.”

Junior Wyatt Wilson adds that it takes a lot more skill than most people realize.

Other players like senior Carson Hess and senior Nick Davis agree with this fact.

Nick looks at golf’s athleticism as  similar to baseball. “The mechanics it takes to make contact with a tiny ball and tiny club face has to be the same every time; one little change can change everything,” he explains.

He believes that it takes a certain hand-eye-coordination that cannot be considered anything but athletic.

Nick also brings up how high school and college golfers are required to carry around their golf clubs instead of take a cart, and after 18 holes, it can get pretty tiring.

So, to those who do not believe that golf is a sport, Nick had one thing to say: “Play me in a round or two;  let’s see if you can swing a club a couple of hundred times and see if you aren’t tired.”