Athletes share three-point history

Eric Pabon, Entertainment Editor

The three-point game in basketball has evolved immensely since the game’s early beginnings.

The sport itself was invented by James Naismith in 1891. The hoop was a literal peach basket, and someone stood near it with a ladder to throw the ball back into play once a basket was made.

The three-point line was adopted into the NBA in 1979. The NCAA in 1986, and high school the following year.

Today, the three-point shot is one of the biggest in basketball. Nearly 30 percent of shots are behind the three-point line.

With more shots coming behind the three, that means more athletes are working on the art of shooting.

When asked what goes into being a good shooter, senior Brian Payer says, “Practice, correct your form videos, have confidence, and always follow through.”

“Yeah, I do put a lot of time into my shot. During the games, sometimes I forget to hold my follow-through, and I know it’s not going in because of that,” says junior Ty Anderson.

A team can rely on their shooters to get them going with the three.

Ty says, “Nowadays, some teams rely on the three to get them back into the game, or even put the game away from other teams.”

To be an efficient and effective three point shooter, one has to be locked in mentally.

Junior Sam Smith describes his thought process before a shot. “[I’m thinking about] how much the shot means at the point in the game; it’s always about momentum in basketball, so my only thoughts are that I need to make the shot and get the team going.”

Shooting the three has become an art, and the number of artists are undoubtedly increasing.

Junior Ty Anderson does a layup during warm-ups. He is a starting players the team looks to for outside shots. (Harley Alford)