Esports teams could provide unique experiences for kids

Jacob Dugar, Editor

Junior Keira Page demonstrates the skills necessary for this sport. (Brylee Davis)

This year has shown just how easily a sports season can be delayed or vastly altered, whether it is for one player or the entire team.
Because of this, perhaps investing in a pandemic-proof school activity would be beneficial. A BHS esports team would be widely supported, broadly beneficial, and very simple to implement.
Junior Eli Crutchfield is one student that supports the idea. He even said he “…would quit cross country for it.”
High schools across the country are creating their own teams, and the process would not be that difficult to execute.
The High School Esports League has over 3,100 schools and 100,000 students registered to it already, including over 50 schools registered in Kansas.
According to Jackie Albarella, the Bennett High School and International Preparatory Animation and Design teacher, “It brings people together and when they’re working together, it’s like any other team sport. They’re all for each other. We’re trying to also teach them compassion and good sportsmanship and that’s what we’re infusing with video games. It’s a team sport that any student can get involved in.”
They even have their own rules. That means that BHS would not have to worry about any changes on rules based on whatever schools they play.
It is not free, though. If a student wants to play, but does not have his or her own gaming PC, then either the school must provide one, or his or her laptop must be used. Supplying a PC may be easier than it seems, though. Schools can apply for grants and other kinds of funding from HSEL homepage.
When looking at the games offered, one can see not only a wide selection of genres, including chess and Overwatch, but also several popular choices for students during their free time.
Senior and TSA president Emmy Furman even said that she would be willing to have the club sponsor an esports team.