Athletes show development of skills over years

Mckinley Anderson, Editorial Editor

Senior Braden Sloyer brings the ball down the court at a home game. Over the years, his dribbling speed has increased.

Throughout their four years of high school basketball, basketball players improve tremendously. BHS players have evolved over their time in high school.

The varsity basketball team has five seniors, all of whom have been a part of the team every year of high school. Senior Brian Payer says, “What has changed the most is the amount of friendships I have gained through basketball. I have also improved my dribbling skills, shooting skills and I have more confidence.”

Senior Drue Thorp, along with many of the other boys, agreed on one topic. They all stated, “The coaching staff has changed drastically.”

He added, “I have gotten a lot more confident, I am a lot better with my off-hand, and I have improved on the defensive end.”

Senior Brady Rand says, “The way you are looked upon is extremely different [by senior year], such as leadership, worth ethic, and responsibilities. My skills have improved tremendously over the years. For example, my leadership roles have increased and my rebounding expectations have grown.”

Senior Braden Sloyer took a different approach to this question. “The biggest difference I have had is my playing style.  Senior year so fast-paced, and I am expected to do much more. My knowledge of the game, ball handling, physicality, and confidence as a shooter have been enhanced.”

“What has changed the most for me is not necessarily the game, but the players,” says senior Trevin Meyers.

After he started managing freshman year, the people who were on varsity that he was with are “way different” than the people who are on varsity now. At times he misses the people from before, but the guys that are with him now are also great.

All of these changes and improvements are what have built the team BHS has today.