Cheer team explains physical stress caused during practice

Teagan Harris, Sports Editor

When most people think of cheerleading, they usually do not think of it as a particularly dangerous sport. These pep squads are not exempt from constant injuries, though.

Actually, cheer is one of the most dangerous sports for young women, not including all the other men and people who participate in this.

In 2017, The National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research (NCCSIR) ranked it as the number one cause of catastrophic injuries in female athletes; approximately 66 percent of all major damage in girl athletes occurs due to accidents.

The most common are strains, concussions, neck injuries, fragments, and hip injuries. There are countless athletes, especially those who stunt, who get hurt like this every day.

One such cheerleader who has become a victim of this is junior Sage Kuhlmann. She has gone through head and other injuries during her three years in high school.

She says, “It’s hard. I have had two concussions from cheerleading….I feel like I let down my fellow cheerleaders, and it really is heartbreaking to have to sit out anywhere from a week or more depending on severity, but I’d rather myself get hurt that anyone else, flyers or not.”

Sage points out that, once you get concussed once, it is so much easier for it to happen again. Scientific evidence supports this.

On top of that, she has chronic back problems that affect her ability to cheer for prolonged amount of time. She has also stunted through a wrist injury that is still hurting months later.

Another cheerleader who deals with physical ailments, but with a different approach, is junior Madison Dalby.

Madison sprained her ankle seasons ago and is still dealing with the repercussions. She says that it has definitely affected her day-to-day life, but the best thing she can do for herself is walk it off.

BHS Cheer Squad
Brylee Davis