Season moments stand out

Zach Garner, Sports Editor

This football season has come to a close, and there have been many highlights that will surely be remembered.

One of the biggest is they used a whole new front line in their first game against Council Grove, and crushed their opponent at the start of the season; this was because the previous line had graduated.

According to Dave Gilman, assistant coach, “Another big one is senior Shane Wright, [who] had many sacks against Wellsville on enemy turf.”

A huge achievement for the team was that seniors Brannon Nordstedt, Eric Faimon, Tegan Hess, junior Cael Johnson and sophomore Braden Sloyer had multiple touchdowns in a single game.

They played many close games, but one that came down to the wire was against Girard. “We ran a 19-yard drive to ice the game on enemy turf.”

Then they beat Anderson County at home on Oct. 19 to seal a place in the playoffs.

“Because our team was lacking certain areas, we had one player on the field at all times,” said Coach Gilman.

“Junior  Parker Meats played offense, defense, and kicked, so he never left the field, People who play {the whole time} have to try their hardest 24/7, knowing that they are needed at the biggest parts of the game.”

Another unique moment was that a girl played for the team. Freshman Mikayla Meierhoff had a spot on the JV squad. She said, “I was on both offense and defense and enjoyed playing a lot.”

Though the season came to an end, the players felt it was successful and was definitely fun.

Freshman Mikayla Meierhoff prepares to run onto the field during her first ever high school scrimmage football game. (PHOTO: Topainga Hernandez)

Season moments stand out