Alternate sports, hobbies popular among BHS’ers

AJ Lank, Sports Editor

What comes to mind when you think of the word sports? Football? Volleyball? Basketball? What about wrestling or cheer? While these are the ones that appear first, what about the others?

There are many students within our school who have outside of school hobbies: athletics such as Karate, Taekwondo, gymnastics, dance, and even animal showing. These are activities that students often don’t get respected for.

For example, juniors Carlee Broyles and Kiana Wight both are participants in several dance classes. What about freshmen Karlie Whitworth and Catherine Rohrer? They are both active members within their gymnastic classes and competitions. Now, how many of you actually knew this?

These are just a few of the students in our school who participate in activities outside of school that they genuinely enjoy.

There are even some hobbies that are used for more than one reason. Karate and Taekwondo are not only for athletic activities, but they can also teach students self-defense.

Seniors Trinity Qualls and Clay Rolf are both black belts in the art of Karate.  Therefore they are doing something that they love to do, while also learning to take care of themselves in a threatening situation.

What I’m trying to say is that these students shouldn’t have to feel like their sports don’t matter, simply because they aren’t at strictly Burlington High.  Maybe they feel this way; maybe they don’t.

Personally, I love to write (which isn’t a sport), and do anything art-related and yet when I wasn’t in athletics, it was almost like I didn’t  matter;  I know that I’m not the only one.

We need to start appreciating people for their talents and accepting them as they are even, if they don’t play sports within our school.