Sophomore leads pack

Abby Finnlayson, Ad Manager

One sophomore on the boys’ cross country team particularly stands out. Seth Jarvis tells his story of why and how he fell in love with this sport.

He began running the summer after sixth grade. The reason he started was simple; he had a goal.

“I wanted to be the best in my grade at it,” he says. “When I started, I was winning races, so I just continued it.”

After sixth grade, he fell totally in love with the sport of running, especially the feeling he got when he won a race.

This year, he achieved his personal record at the Council Grove meet. As a sophomore, he ran a 5K in 17:30.

“I [also] love running as a team.” The boys’ varsity cross country team has a total of seven runners, and they all run together in meets.

He puts in at least 35 miles each week. Sometimes, but not always, Seth practices on his own run. He does enjoy running practices with the team, though.

He even runs in the summer. Couch Bart Kuhlmann says that it is a big challenge to get runners to work out during break, but this was not a problem for Seth.

“I”m considering running in college, the sophomore says. “I am not sure where though.”

While he hates running during the race, he often feels the endorphin high and tries to focus the good feeling he knows will come at the end.

At the time of this writing, he had been the top BHS finisher in four of five races, with senior Jace Watkins beating him once.

His main strategy is to be in a “good spot,” drafting on someone he knows is a good runner. (This means running behind in the air-path of someone.) Then, he kicks it in gear.

Seth Jarvis finishes strong at John Redmond dam. (PHOTO: T. Hernandez)

Sophomore leads pack