Weather challenges student golfers

Branden Alford, Editor-in-Chief

Casey Withers
Jordan Black discusses the beautiful dry weather.

SWOOSH! QUIET CLAP! SILENCE! PING! SPLASH!
These are the noises a spectator or competitor would expect to hear at a golf tournament.
BOOM! CRACK! WOOSH! SIRENS! ANY NOISE RELATED TO WEATHER THAT IS NOT PERFECT FOR GOLF!
These are the noises spectators or competitors would not want to hear while on the course. Weather events certainly affect the game of golfers.
In fact, weather affects every outdoor sport. Typically, it changes the strategy of the game, the eventual outcome of the event, or even if the event occurs. Golf is not immune to this universal rule of weather.
While investigating how mother nature’s hand on the weather changes the game, this reporter discovered two separate camps on the subject.
Zach Garner, sophomore, said, “The weather really doesn’t affect my game. Sure, I would love to never golf in the cold, but there is really nothing you can do about it.”
Eric Faimon, junior, said, “I don’t really care about the weather. I just love playing golf, and a change in the weather pattern won’t change that.”
On the other side of the argument, Andrew Haselhuhn said that golfing in adverse weather conditions “[vacuums],” adding, “a strong breeze can make the difference between an excellent tournament score and an awful day on the course. When it starts to rain, people start throwing clubs. That is a serious problem for golfers out there for an excellent score.”
So how would a golfer prepare to deal with the climactic effects messing with his game?
Dirk Over, golf coach, said, “Coach Gilman and I focus heavily on teaching the kids to wear layers to deal with the cold and wind. Also, we teach about how different clubs can be used to take lower shots that stay out of the wind.”
There are ways to prepare an athlete in any weather.