Track, cross country demonstrate numerous similarities, differences

Daniel Gifford, Editorial Editor

What do you get when you mix long-term muscle pain and a general feeling of why-am-I-doing-this? The answer is running sports. In this case, that means cross country and track.

Most of the students who participate in them are in one or the other, but that also means there are some runners who do both. This story focuses on the male runners who fall into this category and which sport they prefer. This is cross country versus track.

Freshmen Seth Jarvis, Aiden Caldwell, Elijah Caldwell, and senior Jace Keim favor cross country in general. Seth said, “You get more out in the open, and you’re not running in circles.” He also thinks that the meets are better because they are shorter and more exciting.

Aiden prefers it because “the team is more fun to be around.” He also would rather run a cross country meet, but because there is only one event, and it lasts all day.

Similarly, Elijah said that it is “more fun, friends, and opportuniites to hangout.” He also enjoys the almost daily bus ride to the place Coach Bart Kuhlmann picks out to run. He prefers these practices because “we do wilderness runs in the middle of nowhere.”

With an opposing few, senior Sam Samuelson favors track. “It’s not as hot,” he said, “and it’s not in the middle of the woods.” He also enjoys getting out of school earlier.

Coach Kuhlmann shared his opinions on both, being head cross country coach and mid/long distance track coach: “My passion for both is great, and the will of the person is magnified in both.”

About the meets, he said that he likes the “quickness and intensity” of cross country, but enjoys track because of “the different distances and difficulties.”

Overall, both sports hold great appeal, and it is their differences that make them what they are.

Seth Jarvis sprints a leg of the 4×800 relay during a track meet. (PHOTO: Jenna Adsitt)