BHS athletes take first place at national tournament

Branden Alford, Editor-in-Chief

Two Burlington High School students sacrificed their summer weekends for travelling softball teams. Was it worth it?
Abby Finlayson and Grace Hess, both sophomores, chose to join their summer ball team, the Kansas Brown. Based out of Topeka, they compete in the 14A class, one of the most competitive and challenging leagues in the nation.
Their commitment to the team ate up a lot of time, as practices and games took the entirety of their Saturdays and Sundays, as they stood in the hot sun for hours on end, according to Abby.
After spending roughly $3000 on equipment, tournament fees, and travel costs, it would seem that the costs out weigh the rewards.
Not so, she says. “I love the game of softball so much that it is all worth it. Not only do we get to have fun with the team, but it also improves at least my overall game when it comes back around to school softball season.”
At the end of the season, Team Kansas Brown went up to Kansas City to play in the state tournament, competing against 64 other teams of varying talent and abilities.
By the end of the weekend, they walked away the victors, moving on to the national tournament in Independence, Kansas.
The winning did not stop there. Team Kansas Brown won the national tournament, earning the title of 14A national champions.
“We were just better then everyone else,” Abby said. “That’s why we won! After all the hours of practice and games every weekend, we were just better than everyone.”
She said that she hoped the success of her team, as well as the successes of the other teams her fellow students played on, plus those who stayed in shape will translate into a great season for the Lady Cat softball team this school year.