Softball players differ in views of NHFS rules

Aaron Dees, Sports Editor

Utility player Mady Williams tries on a new regulation helmet that the Ladycat team is required to wear during batting.  (PHOTO: Katie Schwartz)
Utility player Mady Williams tries on a new regulation helmet that the Ladycat team is required to wear during batting. (PHOTO: Katie Schwartz)

Every year, there are rule changes throughout the nation for high school sports. Softball is one sport where change is not uncommon. The regulations can be areas as small as legal attire or as big as base running. Some points of emphasis this year are interference and obstruction. Who is in charge of altering the rule book? The National Federation of State High School Association is. A new factor in this year’s softball season is the limitations on batting helmets. The athlete may not wear one with a glare or mirror-like surface. “I do not think the helmets are that big of a deal. They are only distracting if you let them be during the activity,” says senior Allie Johnson. Another regulation that is enforced is that helmets may not be the same color as the ball. Some argue this is reasonable, and there are athletes who are indifferent. This rule is similar to one in baseball that says a pitcher cannot wear white sleeves mentioned several baseball players, mainly because the possibility of an advantage since the ball will blend in. “I don’t see the point in changing the rules every year,” says senior Tiah Ditto. Several of the softball girls feel the same way about the rules, and would rather not have to worry about legal attire. In most cases the rule changes are minute, but one must be up to date on them so she does not get penalized for it.