Internet site access causes disputes at BHS

Teagan Harris, Sports Editor

School laptops are monitored by the school, and have many websites blocked. Every student knows this, and many are quick to gripe about it.

Outside of the disappointment, though, how do the restrictions affect students both positively and negatively?

Well, sophomore Kylie Garner has been having trouble accessing websites she wants to use on her computer. For example, she is researching information about abortion for her upcoming speech in English.

Kylie says, “There was a student next to me who had access [to the website.] I, however, couldn’t even get in no matter what browser I was using, and I tried FireFox too.”

She says that she understands that  they are trying to protect us from explicit content, but a lot of mildly  explicit stuff is still necessary for education.

The tech office notes, though, that if a student were to ask if they could unblock a certain website, they would most definitely consider it.

Another student who struggled with the fire walls was Senior Abby Sleezer. Abby was doing a research paper on perscription drug abuse and had to have sites manually unblocked every day.

She says, “It’s not like they could unblock one word and have it over with. It took up so much of my time.”

On the other hand, though, these restrictions are put in place to ward off distractions in class.

Paige Milota, who teaches Web Comm., uses computers in her room every day for the majority of her curriculum.

Mrs. Milota claims that she catches students playing games on their computers multiple times a day instead of paying attention. Without the firewalls, there might be even more of a problem.

Also, without app restrictions, students could have even more computer problems.

Monica Suter, who works in the tech office, is not about to lift the bans that administration has set.

Popular sites like Slader have recently been blocked when the number of cheaters in math was noticed by teachers.

“We do what we have to do to keep the students under check. I know the kids don’t like it, but they have to realize that this is a school setting,” she states.

She also says that apps that students like to download without permission, like Spotify, can cause all sorts of problems.

She and the rest of the tech office staff have had kids claim they do not know why their computers are crashing, but when they open up their [school-provided] laptops, Spotify is the first thing to boot up.

Even after getting busted, though, a lot of kids continue to use these apps they should not even need in class anyway.

For this reason, most teachers do not allow headphones unless the kids are working on a project or something by themselves.