Educators, students discuss past-due work, stresses

Eric Pabon, Entertainment Editor

Anxiety and insecurity in teens, regarding failure, continue to increase. A factor that contributes to the overwhelming overstimulating nature of today’s society is the number of tasks given to a student in a given week.

According to a survey by the U.S. Census, nearly 57 percent of students between ages 6 and 17 participate in after-school activities. However, all students are given assignments in high school.

With more than half of the school competing in extra-curricular activities, that means students have to find time to complete their homework outside of school, practices or competitions, meetings, clubs, or work.

Let’s say that one night after a late basketball game, a kid forgets to finish his Algebra homework after getting home at 11:00 at night.

How should teachers handle this? Some would say that it seems unfair for a straight-A student who never misses an assignment, to forget one paper and receive a 0 after he had three basketball games, work, or club activities.

Well some teachers do make exceptions, while others do not.

Biology teacher Mr. Johnson says, “In most cases, if it’s not done when I grade it, it’s a 0. I expect my students to communicate circumstances when their work is not done.”

English teacher Sandy Loucks calls herself the “ICE QUEEN.” She claims that she gives reasonable assignments with reasonable due dates, often handing out assignments a day early if she sees names in the Bulletin.

“Allowing endless deadline makes kids irresponsible. Plus, students choose to be in extracurricular activities, so they need to manage their time accordingly.”

Others have a more laissez-faire philosophy when it comes to late work. National International teacher Chris Varvel says, “I try to be as flexible as possible, yet I encourage people to get stuff made up as soon as possible. I don’t like it piling up.”

Having to juggle multiple activities as a young adult surely prepares one for life after high school. However, no one is perfect, and deadlines will be missed.