Some traditions that might not come back

Emmy Furman, Ad Manager

Brian Payer and Drue Thorp dress at the 2020 yearbook-sponsored Halloween dance, a past event that might return. (Brylee Davis)

Traditions, for many people, are sacred. They give them something to look forward to. Sadly, Covid has ruined many of these well-loved rituals, but are they ruined for good?

Mindsets have changed since the virus’ spread. Many BHS students believe that this pandemic could have a bigger impact in the future than the world thinks.

Junior Kylyn Allen fears that this generation will forever be wary of huge gatherings, much like their grandparents (WWI era) tended to collect things and waste no food after having rabtions.

Aleesia Hernandez, senior, also believes this generation has picked up habits from Corona. “I do not like going in the store anymore.   [We] will be ordering things online instead of going out around too many people,” she said.

Aleesia added that her realization of cleanliness has gone up post-Covid. “I think back to before [it], and I never did the stuff I do now, like sanitize; it was disgusting.”

Senior Nick Davies believes there will be a recovery, but the future may look a little different than pre-virus.

“The masks might be extended throughout summer. I do not know how that would affect graduation,” he said. “I also cannot picture a full stadium at the national or college level.”

Junior Kylie Stevenson actually appreciates one of the changes in a BHS tradition. “I like the way that Prom is set up now with Grand March outside. People can show off their cars. I feel like it may stay that way,” she said.

One big change comes with school dances. Yearbook instructor Sandy Loucks sponsors the yearly Halloween dance, but, with social distancing guidelines, this dance was impossible in October.

“It is such a cool tradition in Burlington, and it makes great yearbook photos!” she said. “I hope it returns, but I will not be chaperoning.  Hahahaha.”

Senior Braden Sloyer agrees that dances may never truly be the same. “They [may] use Corona as an reason for no group dancing or mosh pits.”

Some students have a positive outlook for a future-sans pandemic. Senior Trevin Myers believes that rituals will eventually go back to normal. “I feel like here within the next year or so, the fear of Covid will lessen with the vaccines and immunity happening,” he said.

Senior Sam Griffin added that there may even be things added to the school for the better. “We will be a lot cleaner. The lunch tables will continue to be [deep] cleaned after lunch,” he said.

Junior Raven Allen agrees that Corona has given people insight on safety. “People are safer from six feet away. It keeps anything from spreading,” she said.

However, for competitions and in-person events, the future could be bleak. Gayle Haselhuhn, Scholars’ Bowl coach, believes that meets may continue remotely.

“Some people like this kind of contest. That way they do not have to hire workers, so it is more cost-efficient. To me, though, it is not a true competition,” she said.

She added that the competition snack situation will probably never be the same. “Prepackaged food will be the new norm, instead of our usual snack buffet.”

Forensics coach and theater instructor Holly Thomsen is optimistic for things to return to normal. “The hope is that we will eventually go back [to normal competition format] because it cannot last forever,” she said.  “When we just send in videos of speeches, it’s so easy to cheat.”

Some traditions, however, should be ruined. Senior Libby Stadel mentioned, “At Falls Creek, people will not be licking the gum tree anymore. That’s for sure.”