Volunteer-focused group is involved in many areas in Burlington

Seth Jarvis, News Editor

Burlington has many clubs dedicated to community service. One of the bunch is Champions of Character.

The sponsor is athletic director Dave Watkins. There are 12 people in the group. Seniors Braden Sloyer and Myka Watkins are co-presidents. Senior Glori Hammye is the Stuco representative.

They meet once a month during CAP and as needed in the morning.

In a normal year, the club runs the Safe Program, the food drive, Drive-One For Your School, and a blood drive. They also assist FCA and Stuco in a variety of school events.

Mr. Watkins described that this year was the most successful blood drive since he has been in charge of the group.

The food drive also usually results in around 3,000 items collected; however due to quarantine, they only got 900 this year.  The group has had many of their activities limited by Covid.

In order to become part of the club, one must first fill out an application. Once that is done, it is reviewed by the faculty who judge the applicant based on how well he reflects the values of the club. If he passes, then he is admitted into the club.

Glori explained why she believes  Champions improves the school.

“I think it benefits the school by giving students the opportunity to help classmates out. We spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to make school a more positive environment and for people to not hate it so much.”

She stated that useful members of the club are always willing to help out on days when there is no requirement to be there.