Teens discuss next step of digital communication mediums

Emmy Furman, Ad Manager

Big corporations in social media are masters of advertisement and marketing. These business experts dominate the industry by attracting more users every day.

This leaves the question, will any new socials survive with the big dogs on the chart?

Social media interests change over the years which brings opportunity for new and old medias to change their designs and features. According to Harvard Business Review, “[Young people] prefer to talk in private message threads rather than forums and feeds.”

This creates an interest in apps like Snapchat, where private conversations are easy to do.

However, can old apps incorporate these interests to keep their users, or do new businesses do it better?

Student teacher Bobbi Rookstool believes new medias can do it better thanks to advanced technology. One example being MySpace being dominated by Facebook.

“Facebook probably looked better. They did a better job of attracting people,” she said. Aesthetic and customer appeal are huge factors in the industry.

Senior Taven Allen agrees that it is  possible for small corporations to rise. “We saw it happen with TikTok over the past years. We see that Instagram itself has come across lower rating and usage numbers,” she said.

Senior Libby Stadel, however, believes that Instagram is here to stay. Monetization of accounts has also made the app huge. “It is now so fake and unrealistic. I do not think new businesses would survive next to Instagram because the famous keep gaining more fame,” she said.    

“Insta models” will continue using this platform, so the app will be here for the long run.

Sophomore Reece Morgan agrees that the corporations in charge will continue to rule. “Parlor is an example of a corporation that was taken down by bigger ones. The businesses make so much money they can overthrow the smaller ones,” he said.

Senior Seth Jarvis believes that the dominating apps will remain so for at least the next couple of years, however, they will be more regulated, “for better or for worse.”

“Recent events like the capital insurrection show that social medias can help speed up political radicalization and polarization,” he added.

Out with the old and in with the new is Senior Chloe Medlock’s perspective. “I want something new and interesting so I hope a new one could survive,” she said.

The social media industry is constantly growing and changing every day. New businesses are occasionally added, but will they ever be in the spotlight? Only time will tell.