Students debate hot topic

Teagan Harris, Sports Editor

The new world is changing constantly, including the youth and the way they see things. They are learning about different government systems and how they actually work outside of history classes.

Communism has been a touchy topic among Americans. Many grew up never questioning that it was bad.

However, as people continue to educate themselves, their views may change.

Sophomore Kylie Garner is on the fence about the topic; “It’s bad, isn’t it? I was always told it was bad. You know. North Korea and all.” She explains that while she does consider herself Republican and will not change that about herself, she is learning new things every day that surprise her about what she has always thought.

Listening to friends explain their different points of view lets her broaden her expanse of knowledge.

Another sophomore, Lisa Summers, has a similar mind-set. She says, “I’m the way I am because of the way my parents taught me. I don’t see anything wrong with that, I just feel like I haven’t been taught anything about the world.”

On the other hand, some students have changed the way they think completely. Freshman Allie Harris explains that when she was younger, she did not even know what capitalism was. She says that her mind-set has radicalized tremendously over time. She blames the media and her “mouthy older sisters” for this.

Other students claim that they feel as if the world is too corrupt, but also that they are hardly seeing any of it.

The world is a different place than it used to be, but these ideals have been around forever. No matter what happens, one will always have two sides of the story.