Students express scholastic struggle with learning disability in reading

Jacob Dugar, Chief Editor

Dyslexia is a learning disorder that can affect one’s ability to read write, and speak. People that have it generally are smart and hardworking, but they often have difficulties associating the letters they read to the sounds they make.

The symptoms vary from person to person, however, along with the treatment they receive in response to their condition.

It is also very hard to be diagnosed at an early age. For example, sophomore Wayne Roher has not been officially diagnosed, and junior Eli Crutchfield was only diagnosed this year.

An anonymous source said she has not been diagnosed either. She says that she mainly has trouble with spelling, but it affects her reading ability too. Spellcheck is her savior.

As for it affecting everybody differently, Wayne has very specific symptoms. “I switch my f and 5, and w and m.” He reverses those pairs of numbers and letters frequently and said that he still has not completely coped yet.

Eli, on the other hand, was slower when compared with the other kids in his class, so he was homeschooled by his mom.

Coping for him was easier then than in high school, as now he has to take extra time after tests which makes him late for his next class.

“I struggle taking notes off the board because I can’t read too well, but I just kinda have to deal with it.”

Another anonymous source that was diagnosed in third grade said that it takes him/her a lot longer on assignments, having to write things out and take a longer time.

Their experience with dyslexia is overall frustration and confusion as they will make mistakes without even realizing it.