Students prepared for future jobs with hands-on classes

Allie Schneider, News Editor

nfortunately, when it comes to budget cuts, the first to go is arts, followed quickly by the hands-on classes. This is not the situation at Burlington High School.

The classes taught by Julie Carden and Doug Stewart are highly appreciated and for good reason, too.

Mrs. Carden teaches Intro to Agriculture, Advanced Animal Science, Research in Agriculture, Agriculture Mechanics, Advanced Agriculture Mechanics, and Agriculture Fabrication.

Besides the skills directly taught in the classes, she believes that students gain many other life skills that will help them in the future, like independence and public speaking skills.

The hands-on aspect of this class helps many students grasp the concepts better than if they were only in chairs.

“Not everyone learns the same; being able to learn differently and get hands-on experiences lets people get in a better learning environment,” says Ms. Carden.

Students like senior Lily Rolf can vouch for this fact. She is currently in Research in Ag and has taken four other classes in previous years. “I benefit because I can’t learn from just sitting at a desk. Being able to go out to the shop is a big stress reliever for me.”

Mr. Stewart teaches Manufacturing, Production Technology, and Machine Tool Tech.

These classes teach students how to use tools and apply their uses later in life, either in career or just in day-to-day.

“The farm community on its own is shrinking, so students exposed to working with their hands are limited. Many are relying on outside sources for work. This gives them a chance to do some of that work themselves,” explains Mr. Stewart.

Sophomore Gavin Conkle is taking one of these classes, Intro to Industrial Tech.

He appreciates being able to work with his hands, as he functions better this way.