Classes have changed due to COVID protocol

Seth Jarvis, News Editor

Students have had difficulties adjusting to mask rules at football games. They have learned since the first game, pictured above. (Yearbook)

This school year is one of the more unique ones in Burlington’s history. Teachers have had to make quite a few changes to adapt to the pandemic, space-wise.

History teacher Chris Varvel had to make some very extreme alterations to his room. The layout of his was completely changed, and he had to get extra tables into his classroom.

In addition to this, most of his teaching materials were all moved into a cramped back office.

“I’m not a big fan of major change, so this has taken some time to adjust to, but if it keeps us in the classroom, then change is needed,” he said about it.

English teacher Devra Parker has also had to make some adjustments to her education style. One difference is she tries to teach from her desk more than she had before. In addition to this, she attempts to spend no more than 10 minutes with any one student.

“I also have had to tell them to get their mask over their nose. Brett!” she stated, telling him to do just that.

English teacher Holly Thomsen made some similar changes to her room. The desks within are all spread out, and the students are required to speak out more.

The new guidelines also resulted in the fall musical being moved to the spring. Instead, a show made up of a bunch of mini-plays will be performed. This decision was made due to the fact it would not be a likely possibility to do a musical at this time, Ms. Thomsen said.

Another activity that has been affected by this invisible threat is Scholars’ Bowl.

“We are still planning on having our home meet. It will have half as  many teams as usual. Masks will be required, and extra workers have to clean everything,” explained sponsor Gayle Haselhuhn.

There are also fewer meets than there were last year. Only two of the 12 schools that usually have meets have said they are going to try and have a competition.  Even those are up in the air.

“They keep saying we’ll do virtual meets, but I don’t know how we’ll do virtual ones,” Mrs. Haselhuhn added.

Athletic director Dave Watkins went over many of the differences in sporting events this year.

“For indoor events, we limit the amount of people that come in. For outdoor venues, we do not limit it, but we regulate masks when they don’t social distance,” he said.

He and principal Stacy Reed stated that one of the more annoying parts of this ordeal has been having to constantly remind people to wear their masks. They have become “mask police.”

People have been cooperative for the most part, except for showing some limited disgust.   

Band director William Bostic is another teacher who has implemented reforms for this year.

“Usually, you want people to be close together for halftime, but we have to spread out a bit. It makes the show a bit softer,” he noted when asked how band has changed.

Nutrition and Wellness instructor Pamela Babb has in some cases had to split her cooking classes in two. Half prepare food while the other half sit at the tables and do another activity.

When it comes to cooking food, she has not had to make too many changes to the class. Students are simply no longer allowed to share food, and they work at the same lab area every time. This is to assist with contact tracing if someone catches the virus.

This is a strange time for everyone. Burlington’s teachers have worked hard to make sure that the school year works out well.