Students debate efficiency of face masks

Six of the newspaper staff members meet over Teams, during the time they were all quarantined for being in close proximity. Seniors Emmy Furman and Brylee Huber both tested postiive, but their illnesses came from non-school sources. (PHOTO: Allie Schneider)

Brylee Huber, Editor

With the start of this uncertainty-filled school year, there comes many new requirements, the most prevalent being the masks everyone must wear.

Some students are very passionate about the necessity of wearing them, whereas others struggle to leave them on all day. The same goes for teachers and other members of the community.

At this time, health departments claim that masks and face shields are some of the best deterrents of the disease. A few students heavily agreed with this claim.

One such student was Jacee Marchant, junior. She said, “It’s such a simple task to protect people around you by wearing a mask. Having basic sympathy shouldn’t be such a hard task.”

Responses such as this are common. Many students of BHS said that by dealing with the minor issues these things cause, they may be helping in stopping the spread of disease.

There is also a large number of people who support masks so that life can go back to an image of normalcy. Sporting events and even day-to-day classes would not be allowed if there was not this measure in place.

Jacob Dugar, senior, said, “I have no problem with them. I even wear them over my face for football and have no issues. It’s a small price to pay for school still happening.”

Many students, however, have complaints against the new requirement.

The most common, said by three separate individuals, discussed why Burlington High was forced to both social distance and wear masks. A fine example are the desks located in Physics teacher Mark Engel’s room. Every student in his seventh hour class sits as his/her own desk located more than six feet away.

The argument is that students in these classes are already maintaining appropriate distance, so masks are only a burden and do no more good than already being done.

Senior Alex Mudd agrees, “The CDC says that COVID spreads from droplets, so if students are an appropriate distance to avoid a sneeze, then it’s fine.”

These burdens can be explained by a few more BHS students. Senior Cassidy Combs said, “I dislike masks because breathing the same muggy mask air all day is disgusting.”

One student, who wished to be left anonymous, agreed with mental health issues involved. They said, “I have anxiety, and that makes breathing feel weird sometimes. Masks make me feel the same way, so I feel anxious a lot more.”

Overall, masks are a torn subject at Burlington, and there are prevalent positives and negatives in both arguments.