Custodians are important in Burlington

Brylee Huber, News Editor

Every school, stadium, concert hall, and public building has a great need for one particular type of person. They all need a janitor.

When one looks at the Burlington High School website, these people are not listed under faculty, but without them, many students feel their school day could not occur normally.

The custodians spoken say their responsibilities include cleaning after lunches and after school, but there is far more to it.

They also work as the maintenance in BHS, making sure that everything, from clocks to air conditioners, is in running order.

BHS janitor Brad Harrington, explained the hardest part of his job:  “Definitely setting up for events.”

If any students have ever complained about planning, or even going to, something at Burlington, they probably have been ignoring who is in charge of setting up for it.

Every table moved, bleacher seat pulled out, and basketball hoop lowered is usually done by Brad or another member of the custodial staff.

Also, when students complain about having to get to school by 8:00, they again do not wonder about who is preparing the day.

“Six o’clock,” responded Mr. Harrington, without a moment of hesitation, about what time he gets to work.

He also shared that his day is not over until 3:30, so a student’s seven hour day is at least two and a half hours shorter than just one janitor’s day.

This, however, is only the day shift. Once he and the other custodians leave for the day, a new group begins to clean the school and gets it ready for the next day.

Despite the hardships, Mr. Harrington added, “The best part is interacting with kids.”

Brad Harrington cleans up after a lunch period. His usual job consists of cleaning after students and putting the tables away. (PHOTO: Brylee Davis)