Students face serious career obstacles, both real, imaginary

Brylee Huber, News Editor

The world is full of obligations. Whether it is because of family, religion, or financial responsibility, a student’s dream of his/her future is bound to get distorted.

The only question is why? Why do people have to say things such as, “I wish I could do this, but…”

The simple word “but” is far more than a word, because the moment someone allows it to come after his/her dream, the dream is already gone.

To prove this point, many students at Burlington shared their views.

Sophomore Becky Asay said, “There’s a lot I would do [in the future], but I can’t because of money.”

Junior Gabe Gifford also spoke enthusiastically about his perfect house, job, and life. Like Becky, however, he felt that the biggest obstacle would be financial reasons.

In fact, neither of them acted like it was merely a possibility, and instead felt like it was obvious they would never get what they wanted.

Perhaps, in rural Kansas, the opportunities are far from the same as someone living in a more populated place. The only places to work are fast food, so internships and jobs tend to not be what someone sees for their future.

Scholarships and colleges sometimes overlook small towns as well.

That being said, BHS is still filled with hopeful students. Jacee Marchant, sophomore, said, “I would want to be a tattoo artist. They have free range, and they can travel to festivals, instead of always working in their shop.”

In fact, when each student was interviewed, he/she was still happy to explain what their dream career was.

When asked about the job they planned on going into, however, it

was usually a simple shrug and a note of a good compromise.

Besides the common answer of money, family values and what parents want for their child were common obstacles.

Parents desire for their children to be happy, but, as students at BHS reported, they go about it in the wrong ways.

Low-income careers are always the first to go, but so are certain colleges, places to live, and lifestyle choices.

People’s dreams are far from just careers. Some said they wanted a big family, where others did not want to get married at all. Many people mentioned leaving Kansas

and living abroad or in far away states like the East Coast.

There was even a sprinkle of specific houses that people wanted. A small apartment in a big city, a tiny cottage near an ocean, and their grandparent’s childhood home were all in the mix.

Again, however, finances got in the way. None of these houses mentioned were billion dollar mansions or private yachts. All of them were places and things that meant something to them, yet the thought of money was so stressful, students deemed it impossible.

When asked, those interviewed’s mention of college and degree-required careers was very minimal.

Not a single person selected medicine, engineering, or education as a pathway, and not a single person talked about their dream college unless specifically asked.

Most students wanted something involving art, travel, or music, so the financial strain of university could be lifted off of their shoulders.

Brylee Davis, sophomore, even said that she wanted to be a cat herder. When asked what might keep her from herding cats for a living, she said that there was no reason.

All students, however, wanted to talk about such dreams for hours.

One day, they will either come true, or not.