Buzzers and questions and dumb answers, oh my!

Jacob Dugar, Editorial Editor

“The wreckage of which ship was discovered in 1985?” Following this question, the sound of a buzzer fills the otherwise silent room. “The Titanic!” a student exclaims.

“That is correct,” says the announcer.

Scholars’ Bowl is a competitive club that centers around the intelligence and knowledge of its members. In this competition, there are several topics from which questions can be chosen. This includes, but is not limited to, Social Science, Fine Arts, Math, Science, Language Arts, Current Events, and a few others.

A normal Scholars’ Bowl meet starts off with all of the teams meeting in a designated area, generally the commons or cafeteria, and eating provided food. After consuming the snacks, the teams move to the rooms in which they will compete, said Coach Gayle Haselhuhn.

In these rooms, the two teams are seated at tables on opposite sides of the room, but both are looking at the announcer. The announcer will then read out the questions, and the teams will buzz in to answer them.

When one buzzes in, his team cannot talk and must hope that their comrade is correct. In the event that their teammate is wrong, the other team is given an extra five seconds added to whatever amount of time that was left.

Mrs. Haselhuhn said that, on the BHS Scholars’ Bowl team, there are around 16 members. However, this is a lower than average amount, as in a given year there are normally 30.

She also stated, “Everyone in the team is also friendly with each other. During the rides to away meets, there are plenty of interesting conversations, jokes, and practice problems.”

Unlike other clubs, Scholars’ Bowl does not have officers, although it does have a team captain every meet. This captain does not need to be the same between meets, but the position is generally reserved for a senior.

While the BHS team is strong overall, there are a few members that are very good in certain subjects. Junior Seth Jarvis is very fast and knowledgeable in the Social Science and Current Events field.  Mrs. Haselhuhn said, “He can hear three words of the question and know the answer.”

Senior Molly Servaes, though, is the team’s Fine Arts specialist, as she knows many plays and opera facts.

Every Monday before school, the team practices by going over around two rounds of practice questions. During these rehearsals, the team members eat donuts and attempt to answer the questions.

Students help at home JV invitational, which includes reading the questions, recognizing the players, and timing for the questions. Seniors were given the chance to read for the occasion. (PHOTO: Maggie Jarvis)