Gossip might be downfall of BHS

Brylee Huber, News Editor

Many places across the U.S. suffer from issues involving false information spread about their inhabitants, but nothing is quite like a small town.

Burlington is no different than the rest of the country, and it is definitely not free of rumors.

In  hopes of testing this phenomenon, this reporter shared “a piece of gossip” to a few select and usually trustworthy sources.

The goal of the experiment was to see how fast the rumor returned to this reporter, but it was much quicker than she could believe.

She meant for this to be something that took a few days, but it became a totally altered story and only took two hours.

This staff member told her friends at lunch, and by sixth hour, a completely different person,  not in their usual circle of friends, had regiven the information to her.

Test runs, however, are not the issue in Burlington. Important news that should be kept private to friends and family members, and on the secret-holder’s terms, is spread like they are talking about a TV show.

One such situation happened to a staff member of the newspaper.

Her mother was diagnosed with cancer, a fact that she reportedly did not want attention for, but, after telling only two close friends, someone she did not usually talk to came up, apologized, and hugged her.

These incidents can be harmful, for the person who wanted to have privacy because she now must navigate dozens of people, causing more stress than she already had.

There are dangers in rumors, most of them mental, so therapists on websites such as  verywellfamily.com ask students to remember that a piece of  interesting information is someone’s life.

Three students demonstrate “the spreading of a rumor,” even if they do not mean to. (PHOTO: Brylee Davis)