Students discuss most popular historical icons in country

Zachary Garner, Sports Editor

by Zachary Garner
Not too long ago, the Notre Dame memorial was burnt to the ground, where the cause is still unknown, but they think that either the circuits shorted or that it was a fault on the workers’ part.
Cat Tracks asked students what they thought about memorials and which ones were most important to them.
Sophomore Seth Jarvis said that these icons are a huge part of this country, but it is hard to choose just one. If he had to pick, he would say the WWII Memorial. When asked why, he said, ”The war was a big part of our history. It is not something that the U.S. would want gone from their vast number of things to remember.
Junior Molly Servaes said that the Trail of Tears would be the icon that she would miss the most. She said that America is based on genocidal white people who walk over everyone. The Trail of Tears was made for the Native American’s to relocate west so that Americans could have land.
Sophomore Allie Schneider said her favorite one is the Hachiko statue in Japan. It is not a U.S. memorial, but many people know the story. This dog was loyal to his owner for more than nine years, even after his owner died. This shows a great amount of character and how important his owner was to him.
Memorials are a huge part of our society, and without them, America would forget everything it has gone through to get to where it is today.
There have been many iconic areas built to remember the important events that have taken place in U.S. history. One that is very important to Americans is the 9/11 memorial.
On September 11th, 2001 the Twin Towers were hit by terrorist planes, and they also hit the Pentagon and tried to hit the White House, but the fourth plane was taken down by the passengers who found out that terrorists had taken it over.
Icons like these play a huge role in everything citizens do and also the history of the world. The world should thank everyone for the service they have done for it.

Allie Schneider mourns over Notre Dame’s fire. (PHOTO: Kameron Cole)