Club focuses on community

Daniel Gifford, Editor-In-Chief

Senior Civil Advocacy Group  (SCAG) stands out from the other clubs at BHS in several ways. Its 34 members are all seniors, and it is student-led.

The officers are president Sarah Unruh, vice president Logan Herrman, secretary Alli Dunlop, and treasurer Ashlyn Stevenson.

These seniors, and others like Anne Stukey and Trinity Qualls, take part in several different committees to organize various activities for the community.

They meet once a month during CAP, though some committees may meet on their own time.

Some of the groups are the Scholarship Committee, Kiss A Senior Farewell Committee, Speakers and Activities Committee, and the Constitution Day Committee, according to Dirk Over, sponsor.

The Constitution Day Committee was in charge of organizing and executing the activities on this holiday for the BMS students last semester.

Among many other patriotic events, Mayor Stan Luke spoke and conducted a mock citizenship ceremony.

In addition, there is a Community Member of the Year Award, which exists to recognize an exemplary community member for his/her continuing service to others. Members of this committee submit recommendations for the award, and it is then decided, said Mr. Over.

Cat Tracks was given the results, although the name will be released shortly before this issue is distributed. Mr. Over previded the information on the award.

The winner of the Community Member of the Year Award is Tommy Flannigan. The other nominees were Terry Weldin, Barb Merry, Ryan Akers, Susan Mueller, Jerilyn Curtis, Salli Stewart, Cameron Roth, Londa Kneisley, Raymond Anderson, Pam Scott, Martha Newkirk, and Judy Hutson.

Sarah Unruh and Ashlyn Stevenson discuss candidates for the club’s community leadership contest. (PHOTO: Topainga Hernandez)