Students sick and tired of sickness!

Emmy Furman, News Editor

Sophomore Allie Schneider gets yelled at by journalism teacher Mrs. Loucks for getting an F on a newspaper story because she was absent. Meanwhile, the Cat Tracks staff judges her. (PHOTO: K. Cole)

This year has been filled with the flu and other viruses going around. Students across BHS have been scrambling to make up their work from missing school.
So what is the trick to not going crazy when homework is being piled up? This reporter talked to some students on their tips to missing school because of sickness.
Sophomore Allie Schneider missed many days of school because she was deathly ill. She still hasn’t gotten the complete hang of missing school.
“I cry for all the days I have to makeup,” she said, but she knows if she stays organized, she will be fine.
Taking a day off of school to relax and start feeling better definitely is not very relaxing. Senior Cassidy Isch also missed school this year due to sickness.
“Some teachers don’t understand how tired you are and also how your body needs time to recuperate, and with lots of homework you do not get that time,” she mentioned.
Cassidy had to be excused from school because she was so sick. She felt like the work kept piling up while she was gone.
Junior Kameron Cole has her own way of coping with missing school. Her strategy to keeping up with work is to not keep up with the work.
“I just do enough to get by when I am missing a lot of school,” she said. She added that she just figures it all out on her own.
Family sickness also may affect a student’s ability to go to school. For example, junior A.J. Lank.
A.J.’s mom was stuck in the hospital and was sent to live with her grandma in Emporia. She ended up missing two months of school because of it.
She was going to be enrolled in Emporia High School, but BHS sent them the homework they were missing and a tutor to teach them how to do everything.
A.J. and her sister, freshman Kylie Lank, stayed caught up, but it was hard for them since they had no teachers.
A.J. added that she also gets sick very often. She usually powers through and shows up anyway because she hates missing school. She only misses when she is deathly sick.
Sophomore Bryleigh Isch has an auto immune disease that makes her feel ill at least once every week. She hates missing classes like geometry that are hard to make up.
“You fall behind if you do things like lectures that are not able to be made up,” she said.
Students are not the only ones who are affected by sickness though. Substitute teacher Jen Plummer also talked about how being sick affects her work life.
“I did not get paid and that was terrible, but fluids, sleep, and meds helped me get back to making that bread,” she said.
Some teachers believe students should show up to school unless they cannot walk. One of these individuals is Sandy Loucks.
“I show up every day, unless I have a raging fever or I am throwing up,” she said. “People with stuffy noses miss several days and then are ‘shocked’ that they have makeup work in all seven classes. Is it worth the hassle, over and over?”
She did acknowledge the whole “infecting people” issue, but, honestly, in an enclosed environment like a school, especially during the winter, germs are always swirling. She feels that building up immunity to diseases is not a bad thing.

Students sick and tired of sickness!