Spanish Club teaches Burlington students Hispanic culture

Daniel Gifford, Editor-In-Chief

There is only one organization at BHS that is related to a foreign language: Spanish Club.
Sponsored by Sam Samuelson, Spanish teacher, who also provided the information for this article, this group has a large membership which includes seniors Ryleigh Busta and Tyler Carpenter, juniors Rose Spence and Brennan Brown, sophomores Sierra Haddock and Gabe Gifford, and freshman E’owynn Codney and Derek Jesse.
The officers are as follows: president Gabby Stadel, senior, vice president Brannon Nordstedt, senior, secretary Delani Nichols, junior, treasurer Grace Kuhlmann, senior, and Stuco representative Kirsten Young, senior.
Some of these include celebration Spanish holidays, playing games native to Spanish-speaking South American countries, and going on field trips to watch movies in Spanish.
Unfortunately, the movie trip was cancelled due to scheduling conflicts; however, if an opportunity arises for a rescheduling, they will take that opportunity.
Other activities included club t-shirt design contest and Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF, which stands for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund. This UN charity collects money to give children in underdeveloped countries the necessities of life: food, water, clothes, etc.
There are plans for future activities as well, like dance instruction. The dances will be iconic Spanish dances such as the salsa and the merengue.
Spanish club meets once a month during CAP time.
The point of this club, as Profe Samuelson stressed, is for students who are in Spanish and for those not in Spanish to learn about Spanish culture. “It should be for everybody.”

Delani Nichols helps with hanging up posters in the hallway for Spanish Club. (PHOTO: Kaiti Mefford)