Are cell phones ruining journalism with constant videoing?

Seth Jarvis, Editorial Editor

Phones are everywhere in this day and age. They have taken over the world and seemingly dominate society today. As time has passed, phones have advanced as well. For many years, they have been able to record and take pictures. A whole lot in the world has been influenced by them.
This of course has raised a question among many people within the school. “Is it a good thing?” There are many people who feel this change is not a positive one, while there are others who feel it is one.
Michael Vander Linden, tech teacher, feels mixed about the issue. Mr. Vander Linden thinks that the fact that anyone can record you helps keep people in line. However, he does feel that it can take people out of reality and makes them lose the ability to live in the moment.
Society wise, he wishes to go back before the time when anyone could record. He believes people enjoyed the world much better. Journalistically, he said, that society light years ahead of where it used to be.
Sophomore Gracie Becker thinks that the constant access to phones and recording can be an invasion of privacy, depending of where you are and the people around you. Gracie also expressed her dislike of the fact that people record during emergencies.
She also thinks people might be in a cool place, but instead of being in the moment they are on their phones.
Senior Trinity Qualls said she is kinda on both sides on the issue. Trinity thinks it is handy for everyone to have one.
Senior Bret Hawkesworth believes that the constant use of phones can help keep people in check.
“I think a lot of people make choices and others choose to record them; that shows your true character.” If you didn’t want to be recorded in the first place, then you shouldn’t have,” he said.
Sophomore Jacob Dugar also did not really have a problem with people being able to record. If you get taped doing something bad, you should be ready to accept the consequences for your actions.
Freshmen Elliott Burns said that he thinks there is a right and wrong time to record. Elliot also stated that he thinks it could be an invasion of privacy to tape.
Some have other reasons for enjoying the abundance of people doing this. Sophomore Gavin Finnerty likes this because it helps produce a lot of funny videos.
Sophomore Drue Throp stated that the phones would be really boring if people did not record.
Freshmen Kurt Keagan has mixed feelings about everyone being able to record. He does think that this does cause a lack of privacy. However, he did say that he thinks that it helps bring people together, connect them better, and helps to make them more informed.
Senior Tyler Carpenter also thinks there are pros and cons to this. First, it helps produce a lot of funny videos. He does think that it promotes people to take videos instead of taking action.
Sophomore Addison Varvel stated that she thinks constant recording could result in you getting in trouble, but can save plenty of memories for later.
Sophomore Emilea Furman also thinks that access to recording can help create plenty of memories. Emliea does not like that it may cause some people to not live in the moment and takes them out of reality.
Sandy Loucks, English teacher, does not like how everyone constantly recording affects journalism.
“The Weather Channel always posts pictures of rain from John in Salina. “Who cares? That’s not journalism. It’s tacky; they’re just trying to be hip and happening.”
The debate continues to rage on in the school. It will probably continue on long after everyone is gone.

Junior Dakota Jesse and senior Tyler Carpenter stage a fist fight while others spectate and record this extremely memorable event. (PHOTO: Kameron Cole)