There’s more to BASIC than meets outsider’s eye

Haley Haines, News Editor

“Most people are afraid to be vocal about their beliefs,” said junior Zach Garner. Which club does this refer to you ask? That is right, BASIC, (Brothers and Sisters in Christ.)

This bible-based group includes around 15 members who dedicate their time in studying good morals. Zach added, “We actually have to work during meetings; bible study isn’t just  free-for-all.”

The club officers include three seniors: Zoe Caldwell, Isaac Caldwell, and their classmate, Josh Alford. Zach is also a junior officer.

The two main sponsors of this club are Heather Garner and Carrie Hammye. These two ladies are in charge of the events that this club is part of.

BASIC members meet every Thursday night in the high school library from 7:30 to 9:00 pm. This includes worship, snacks, time as a whole group, and time as individuals to gather up their thoughts.

The main activity that BASIC is in charge of is See You At the Pole and Fields of Faith. Of course, another club by the name of FCA, helps with preparation.

“See You at the Pole is our biggest event. Everyone across the nation all come together [in different locations] and pray on this day,” said Josh. This year, the event fell on Sept. 26.

So many people get involved with See You at the Pole; dozens of students and adults take time out of their day for these moments.

Josh also mentions how they all pray for the community and the country. They are very up to date with what is happening and want to bring light to everyone.

Each year, they choose a different bible verse to go by. This year’s quote happens to be Psalms 18:28 “Lord, You light my lamp; my God illuminates my darkness.”

“I’ve really enjoyed these past few Thursdays with my club, because we hd ice-cream sundaes,” said Delani.

Delani Nichols laughs about a hilarious video during a morning BASIC meeting. (PHOTO: Kameron Cole)