Students with mental health issues deserve help

Allie Schneider, Editorial Editor

Lexapro is a common antidepressant prescribed to teens. (PHOTO: K. Cole)

Mental health: one in five kids struggle with some sort of disorder, so it is not uncommon, and yet people still do not want to talk about it. Why is that?
For many years there has been a stigma on this and all that surrounds it.
Many people think it is taboo, which makes sense since it can sometimes be a scary thing to discuss.
At BHS, there are many students who struggle with this, but very few feel comfortable making it public.
Luckily, some are willing to express their opinions on this.
Sophomore Elijah Caldwell is afflicted by depression and takes medication for it.
He thinks that having groups of people with an illness who talk about it can help reduce the stigma around it.
“Having people who care about you helps you not feel as alone.”
Another student who deals with mental illness is junior Kameron Cole. She has severe depression and anxiety. This has affected her for about a year now.
Kameron is anything but shy about what she struggles with and will speak up about it.
During her darker times, she goes into a mood of her thinking everyone hates her.
Because of this, she pushes people away, and to add to it, she loses interest in the things she loves to do, almost pushing her to quit.
She wants people to know that people with these illnesses are not weak, just going through a bad time.
Another student, who chose to stay anonymous, so as not to embarrass the family, said that he/she takes Xanax for anxiety. There are likely many more people in the same boat as this person.
Anxiety feels like suffocating to him/her; there is a looming feeling that something is wrong, and it kind of just sits there.
This student hopes that people realize that anyone can be affected by this, so they should try not to judge someone by what he/she shows to the world, it is about what he/she is going through.
Most people never want to go through these things, and possibly never will, but it happens. So what BHS really needs to do is make sure that these people can feel comfortable to talk about it. The other students should be there for them.