BHS Drama Club acts their part at school

Sarah Unruh, Editor-In-Chief

Drama club members take a group picture before watching a performance of Les Miserables in downtown Kansas City. (COURTESY PHOTO)

With 47 members, Drama Club is one of the biggest clubs in the school.

The majority of the members are also involved in at least one PLAYBHS production during the school year.

Theatre teacher and director Michael Vander Linden is the club sponsor. The officers include senior Bryna Huber, president, junior Logan Herrman, vice president, junior Cassidy Isch, STUCO rep, and senior Jenna Adsitt and junior Jara Thorp, publicity promoters.

Mr. Vander Linden says that Drama Cub has done a lot this year. “We were able to go see a Broadway musical in this year, and I think that it was a very good experience for the kids.”

The group took around 30 students to shop at the Legends Mall and then to see Les Miserables in downtown Kansas City.

Junior Aliyah Shetler thought that the Broadway trip was amazing. “I still can’t believe that I got to go see Les Miserables with my friends as a school activity,” she says. “I really hope we can start seeing a show every year.”

The club has also had some experts on acting and makeup come to the school to teach a class. Mr. Vander Linden hopes to have a dance expert come in the future.

The group has also put on a Halloween party featuring the infamous Lip-Sync Battle. They also will have a party in the spring for the seniors.

Many of the Drama Club members have also been inducted into Kansas Thespians. This gives them a chance to be involved in a group for life where they can attend special events and receive information about Thespians across the nation.

Drama Club may only meet once a month, but its members continue to inspire and entertain our school.