BASIC spreads the love at their weekly meeting

Branden Alford, Editor-in-Chief

“We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19 (NIV)

The above verse is the focus for Brother’s and Sister’s in Christ, or B.A.S.I.C., for 2017-2018.

“We choose this verse because it simplifies what we are called to do as followers of Christ, one of the major points the officer team decided on this year,” said senior club copresident Abby Hammye.

B.A.S.I.C meets every Thursday night in the first semester at 204 N. Fourth Street in New Strawn with meetings starting at 7:30.

“Usually, they consist of an opening prayer and game, followed by a worship song and a lesson. Before all this begins, snacks and drinks are provided, and students have the opportunity to fellowship around the pool table or on the couches,” said sponsor and special education teacher Heather Garner.

This year, churches that belong to the Ministerial Alliance have graciously sponsored the group, taking one month at a time to provide food and bibles. Third Thursday’s are left to the sponsoring church to send one of their members or youth leaders to lead a lesson on a topic of his or her choice.

“This is a huge blessing to the group,” said junior Student Council representative Josh Alford.

The fourth Thursday of the month is special, as it is set aside as a game night, with pizza and games.

This year, there are five BASIC officers. Abby and Branden Alford, seniors, are the co-presidents of the club. Josh is the STUCO representative. Alissa Lank, sophomore, is the secretary/treasurer. Finally, Glori Hammye is their freshman representative.

BASIC is involved in many different activities. First of all, BASIC sponsors See You at the Pole in September, a morning dedicated to prayer for this school and nation before class.

This year, BASIC plans to take a trip to Voice of the Martyrs in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, as a mission opportunity.

Alissa said, “If you have any questions about the group, faith, or if you have any  prayer requests, please feel free to contact one of the officers [or members] any time.”

(PHOTO: Casey Withers)
Junior Jessica Landis and senior Abby Hammye pray together at their impromptu meeting.