Night overshadows day, astounding all in path of totality

Sarah Unruh, Editor

On Aug. 21, the entire nation was enthralled by a total solar eclipse that crossed the U.S. from the Pacific to the Atlantic for the first time in 99 years.
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon is the right distance in between the Earth and sun and crosses between at a certain time. The blockage of the moon casts a shadow across the Earth, and depending on your location, the sky can darken drastically.
Over a dozen states were in the “path of totality,” where the total eclipse can be seen for a period of time, and when the sky gets dark. The rest of the nation witnessed a partial eclipse, one that requires special glasses to protect one’s eyes from UV rays to view. Burlington saw only a partial eclipse.
In order to be able to experience the effect of the total phenomenon, science teacher Mark Engel took the seniors enrolled in his physics class to Hiawatha, Kansas. Hiawatha was in the path of totality, and it was one of the closest towns to travel to from Burlington for viewing.
However, those in Hiawatha unfortunately did not get to fully experience the beauty of totality.
“The weather was awful; it was too cloudy to see the entire eclipse,” said Mr. Engel. “We only saw the last few moments of totality, and the diamond effect as the moon moved along afterwards.”
Despite the slight disappointment, Mr. Engel says that he would definitely go see another total one occur if given the chance.
Back in Burlington, students and teachers only got a partial view of the eclipse.
“We had to use our glasses to see anything, and it didn’t get dark at all like we were expecting,” said junior Aliyah Shetler. “It was still a cool experience; I hope to see one fully someday.”
By the time that another total eclipse passes over Kansas, most students will be in their 40s-50s.

High school students peer at the magnificence of the eclipse through their special viewers purchased by the district; this group is in front of the building. (PHOTO: Sandy Loucks)