Students gain skills for agricultural future

Madisson Jesse, Ad Manager

Quinten Payne and Dale Hall prepare to paint pumpkins with the BES students. This is an annual event put on by FFA members. (PHOTO: Sophie Servaes)

As one can tell, there are several clubs at BHS that can offer different leadership positions, events, and learning opportunities. FFA, which stands for Future Farmers of America, however, is often said to stand out from the rest. This year, the club has 65 members. Leaders are senior Amy Collins as president, sophomore Cody Collins as vice president, senior Lindsey Leiser as secretary, and senior Megan Iseman as treasurer. Mike Thorne is the sponsor of FFA. Other positions include reporter, sentinel, and Student Council Representative, which are held by senior Dalton Rankin, senior Levi Isch, and Amy. Contests available to participate in are land judging, livestock judging, poultry judging, vet science, and agriculture mechanics. “Personally, I like vet science the best. But my favorite part overall is Thorne’s beard,” Cody says. Amy shares details of some events that help one develop life skills. There is a speech contest as well as a job interview competition. “Participating in the job interview helped me to prepare for my senior exit interview,” Amy says. “I now have a sustainable experience, and it will help me get hired in the future.” Sophomore Connor Jeffers states that he enjoys eating homemade ice cream at events the best. “Join FFA, everyone! It’s a lot of fun and you’ll learn a lot from it,” Megan says.