Club assists community

Noelle Haselhuhn, Editor in Chief

Sophomore Taylr Bahr serves the elderly at the Senior Citizens'  Dinner. (PHOTO: Lauren Suter)

Sophomore Taylr Bahr serves the elderly at the Senior Citizens’
Dinner. (PHOTO: Lauren Suter)

If you are interested in a future career in business, FBLA is the club for you. It stands for Future Business Leaders of America. This club participates in multiple activities over the year. The club officers are senior Christian Isch as president, junior Reid Williams as vice president, and sophomore Taylr Bahr as secretary/treasurer. The club sponsor is former teacher, Helen Hoch. One of the first activities that FBLA does is Drive One 4 Your School. According to Mrs. Hoch, they have partaken in this for the past three years. “It has been an excellent fundraiser for us and also introduced me to the car that I just had to buy and am currently driving,” she says. Also in November, FBLA members traveled on charter buses with other student and advisers from around the state to attend the National Fall Leadership Conference in Omaha, Nebraska. According to Mrs. Hoch, “Students and advisers participate in motivational general session, professional development, and career planning workshops.” On Nov. 19, FBLA helped oversee the Senior Citizens’ Dinner together with FCCLA. “Senior citizens put this on their calendars early—sometimes a year in advance. They always enjoy the students who provide entertainment and are appreciative of the work that the BHS cooks do in order to provide the food,” Mrs. Hoch says. According to Taylr, FBLA participates in the March of Dimes fundraiser in addition to the Senior Citizens’ Dinner. “This year, we baked and sold cookies during homeroom,” Taylr says, “The money goes to premature babies.” A majority of FBLA’s activities include participating in conferences and competitions. “We take business tests at conferences. It’s fun,” says Taylr. On April 4-5, the organization went to the State Leadership Conference in Topeka at the Capitol Plaza. “Taylr placed first in the state in FBLA Principles and Procedures. He will be attending and competing at the National Leadership Conference being held in Atlanta, Georgia, June 29-July 2,” says Mrs. Hoch. In addition to the National Leadership Conference, he will also be attending the two day Institute for Leadership seminar where he will, with other students and advisers from across the United States as well as Puerto Rico and the Department of Defense schools, prepare to assume elected responsibilities and develop valuable life skills. “If you are interested in joining FBLA, you can join at any time during the year,” says FBLA member junior Caitlin Schneider.

Club assists community