Performance arts requirement defined

Deana Pearson, Editoral Editor

What defines a class as a “Fine Arts”?
According to dictionary.com, a it must contain a visual art “considered to have been created primarily for aesthetic purposes and judged for its beauty and meaningfulness, specifically, painting, sculpture, drawing, watercolor, graphics, and architecture.”
BHS has six courses that qualify currently: art, band, computer graphics, vocal, theater, and photography.
“I realize that there are a few fine arts classes for students to choose from, but all of these do not interest every single person here,” said junior Marisa Haselhuhn.
“I would like to see more classes considered, for example, newspaper, yearbook, and even the shop classes,” Marisa continued.
However, the ones that qualify are not up to the school building itself.
The requirements are set up by the state, which then tells the schools which classes meet the criteria.
When asked, athletic director Dave Watkins said he sees a fine arts as performance arts. This meaning an art combining visual arts and dramatic performance.
Most of the options offered at Burlington High School involve some sort of technology or history background as well.

Sophomore Kasie Aikins works on her  facial project for art class.
Sophomore Kasie Aikins works on her facial project for art class.
Newbies on the CatTracks staff take a press law test, which fulfills the history component of fine arts.