Understudies very important in difficult roles

Jacob Dugar, Editor

Everybody that has been to a play remembers the main characters and who played them.

However, with these important characters, there are other actors and actresses that you could have seen in their place.

This past year, due largely in part to COVID-19 and the constant threat of quarantine, understudies have become vastly more important towards the production of school plays, according to director Michael Vander Linden.

So, what do understudies  typically do? They must memorize not only their chorus role, but also everything relating to the lead they will possibly replace.

Junior Derek Jesse said, “We learn all the lines and dances that the main-show leads learn.”

This impacts both the flow of rehearsals and the difficulty of memorization for the actors and actresses.

Freshman Owen Yokum stated, “In rehearsals, we have to switch between understudy and the main stage actors, making it take longer to rehearse scenes.”

They also get their own show in which the understudies play the main roles that they spent so much time and effort training for.

Now, is this difficult role worth the additional effort? The idiom “practice makes perfect” certainly applies in this situation.

Sophomore Lilyan Gerow remarked, “I think it’s worth it because it gets you prepared for your next show and for when you’re a lead.”

Being an understudy certainly is not easy, but they are by far some of the most important cast members out on that stage, even if they

Trey Faimon, and juniors Derek Jesse and Eric Pabon, shown above in Sister Act, are understudies in To Be Found. (Yearbook Staff)

do not seem like it at first glance.