Teacher have hobbies

Courtney Goetz, Sports Editor

by Courtney Goetz Psychologists say that there is a level of maturity where children start to realize that people can be more than just the way they see them. For example, when a child sees his teacher at the supermarket, he may seem puzzled to see that she lives a normal life and doesn’t just live at the school. Whether or not a student reaches this level of maturity is debatable. Senior Anna Hughes says it puzzles her sometimes to see an instructor in passing around town. So, what are some of the favorite pastimes that teachers love to do when they are not grading papers or teaching a lesson? One of the most interesting hobbies of the school is science teacher Tim Johnson’s love of making horseshoes. In the summer, he runs his own business. The most notable one would have to be science teacher Dave Sloop’s passion for planes. Though many of the students at BHS already know he flies planes, only a few know that he fixes them, too. He just finished rewiring the radio on his, but, oddly, his friends did not want to take a ride in his plane, after they saw just how much work he had done. An unexpected trio of teachers take on painting houses in the summer. Mark Engel, science, Chris Varvel, social studies, and Alan Schwartz, special education, all used to paint and fix places in the summer. That is, when Mr. Varvel is not fishing, and when Mr. Engel gets off the lake. Though Mr. Engel is retired from his house-working days, Mr. Varvel and Mr. Schwartz both still enjoy doing so. In addition to these hands-on hobbies, Natalie Spangenberg, art, loves to paint. In fact, one of her time-takers is teaching a painting class. However, she does not just spend all of her time doing art. She likes to ride Harleys, read, spend time with her daughter, and take the occasionalnap. Along the lines of the serene hobby of napping, Sandy Loucks, English, likes to brush her cats and sit on the front porch until her neighbors come talk to her. Like Mrs. Spangenberg, Mrs. Loucks teaches even when she is not at the school. She is a swim lessons instructor, but she has just one problem with the job. “It makes my face hurt because I have to smile because I am around small children all the time,” she says.

Teacher have hobbies